Rakuten is a app that you can earn cash back on for online shopping. Visit the app or the website before making your purchase and start getting extra dollars for each purchase.
RAKUTEN (EBATES) - EASY CASH BACK APP FOR ONLINE SHOPPING
Updated March 3, 2020
If shopping online is one of your favorite past times, you need to be using Rakuten (formerly Ebates). Rakuten partners with thousand of retailers giving you the opportunity to earn cash back through the Rakuten website or the Rakuten app. To earn cash back – all it takes is simply going to Rakuten and searching for NIKE before you buy those new shoes. A chrome extension can be added to your computer to make earning cash-back even easier. Rakuten has one of the most expansive list of stores offering cash-back, so you will be hard pressed to find a store in your online shopping mall that you can’t earn extra money from.
What we'll cover:
Rakuten is a top level cash back/extra money app. Rakuten doesn’t have a score below 4.5 because it checks all the boxes, it is easy, has great earning potential and the earnings start right from the get go with the $10 bonus at signup. This is a must have app in your portfolio.
WHAT IS RAKUTEN (EBATES)?
Rakuten is a cash back app that partners with thousands of retailers. This partnership allows Rakuten to offer cash back to you just for going through Rakuten before you make the purchase. Rakuten has made this super easy through the app and the google chrome extension, which automatically applies the cash back.
Before we make any online purchase we always check Rakuten first to make sure we are not missing out on any cash back, because who likes doing that. Amazon, Target, EBAY, and Nike are just a few of the stores that you get cash back from. If your anything like us, Amazon gets quite a bit of your money, so its a nice feeling getting some of that back through Rakuten.
Here’s a quick look at the Rakuten history:
– Founded in 1997 by Hiroshi Mikitani
– Began trading on the Japanese stock market (JASDAQ) in April 2000
– In 2016 and 2017 entered in sponsorships with FC Barcelona and the Golden State Warriors. Yes, my love of sports does make me slightly biased to the app.
– Currently the largest e-commerce platform in Japan and one of the largest in the world.
HOW TO USE RAKUTEN?
- Go to Rakuten. Link for $10 bonus – Rakuten
- Create your account by entering your basic information – name & email
- Once your account is created, your are eligible to start earning cash back. Go to the search bar at the top of the web browser or app and enter the store you would like to make the purchase from.
- The search will bring you to the store’s homepage on Rakuten, which will show you the cash back offer and if the store has any available coupons or promo codes .
- Hit the “Shop Now” button. You will redirected to the stores site and Rakuten will show you a pop up saying the cash back has been activated for this purchase.
- Make the purchase in the same browser that you opened from the Rakuten app.
- You will receive your cash back shortly, the time varies by store.
HOW DO I GET PAID?
Your cash back from your purchases using Rakuten, will be added to your account balance, which you can see by your name in the app or on a desktop. Your account earnings will be given to you on a quarterly basis (the photo to the right is the payment schedule and tells you what purchases will included in the payment)
There are two ways to receive the money from Rakuten, one being a “Big Fat Check”. This would come through the mail and would arrive shortly after the sent date. The other method is PayPal, you can link your PayPal account and your Rakuten earnings will automatically be deposited there.
PROS & CONS
IS RAKUTEN LEGIT?
Like most great things, people (even myself) will ask, “is this legit? Is this real? Can I really earn money from this app?” The answer to all those questions is an resounding YES! Rakuten is legit and you can and should be earning money from the app.
If anything, use it once and get the $10 bonus after making your first purchase of +$30. But, we recommend continuing to use it and getting money back after each online purchase. Reviewing your monthly Amazon spend can be a little painful at times, this app will help ease the pain.
TIPS & ADVICE
1. Share with friends and family, Rakuten gives a generous referral bonus of $25
2. Use Rakuten to buy Raise gift cards, another app that we love is Raise. You will 1% back from your Raise gift card purchase from Rakuten, plus the savings from buying the discounted gift cards on the Raise app. Combining Rakuten and Raise savings and you will be seeing percent savings in the double digits, making you feel loads better about the purchase.
IS RAKUTEN WORTH IT?
This is the age of the consumer, and it’s never been easier than now with the emergence of online shopping. Roughly 3/4 of Americans shop online every year and that number will continue to grow, companies are benefiting immensely from online shopping, Rakuten helps you even the scale and benefit as well. Take advantage of Rakuten and accumulate cash back on a quarterly basis that can fund a “need” or “want”.
Share Rakuten with those you know, Rakuten will give you $25 per referral! That is the best referral bonus in the Money App Portfolio. If you get several referrals, plus the cash back from your purchases and you’ll start seeing Benjamin’s come your way each quarter.